Guidance on use of zero hours contracts
The government has published guidance for employers on the use of zero hours contracts. The guidance sets out where zero hours contracts may be appropriate and also sets out alternatives and best practice.
The guidance gives examples of where zero hours contracts might be appropriate:
- new businesses, where demand might be fluctuating and unpredictable
- seasonal work, for example around Christmas
- employers needing cover for unexpected sickness in critical roles
- catering businesses using additional experienced staff when a special event is booked and
- a business testing a new service that they are thinking about providing, needing employees on an ad hoc basis.